Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Caregiving is my Yoga Practice

Black woman in blue tank top seen from waist up,
turned slightly to her right, hands in prayer pose, eyes closed
Photo by Madison Lavern on Unsplash

by Tanisha Hubbard-Hood


My mother suffered an aneurysm rupture in August of 2020 and was left unable to walk and talk, let alone take care of herself. Although I had been a parent for many years, I was now forced into this role as a caregiver for a disabled parent--a role I reluctantly took on. I was definitely not prepared at all for what was being asked of me, and I want to share how caregiving informs my personal practice and teaching.

Examine and build relationships. The relationship between caregiver and the bodies they care for is not only crucial but it’s an intimate one. The work calls for you to see this other person in their most vulnerable and human state. Who is this human in front of me and how does my connection to them affect the type of care I am providing? Is it a close family member or a complete stranger? I strongly believe that any emotional ties or stories we have to the person we are caring for can show up in different ways and it's important that we lean into the practice of examining our own hurt, biases, and conditioning. Our unique lived experiences shape how we relate to one another and the work we do as caregivers is no exception. Honoring humanity in others as well as ourselves is essential.

As a student and someone who shares the practice of yoga, examining and building relationships is also important when it comes to holding and facilitating movement space. I always have to keep in mind that my students are whole human beings who bring their own experiences, biases, and unique understandings to the practice. This practice also requires that I examine my own thought patterns about my body and my relationship to it and its limitations as I show up on the mat. As I care for my mother, I have to be aware of how I care for myself in the process.

Welcome shifts and new perspectives. Becoming a caregiver requires a lot of shifts. Sometimes this means changes to living situations, routine, and often lifestyle. Sometimes I find myself wanting to spontaneously do ‘things’ and then realizing that it’s not always possible. Tasks that seem as simple as a trip to the grocery store with my mother require planning ahead for those assisting someone with limited mobility as I am. Are there handicap accessible parking spots? How many bathrooms are located where you are going? Is there room to navigate the space with a wheelchair? I also want to acknowledge that my personal grief from these shifts comes with a layer of privilege and ableism as I have never before had to think about these scenarios.

As a yoga teacher and space holder, I never know who is going to show up to the space. While I may have a set plan or "flow" for a particular class, I must remain open-minded and ready to throw it all out so everyone is seen and included. I can recall many times where I was strictly teaching from a place of what I could physically manage, and it’s guaranteed that I caused harm. These days I welcome opportunities to be creative and curious in real time as different abilities and bodies show up in the spaces I hold.

Be willing to be vulnerable. Caregiving is LABOR and it is hard. Those providing care are worthy of also being cared for and resourced. We wouldn't expect a person working a 9:00 to 5:00 to not sleep, shower or eat, let alone do it for no pay or breaks. Resource yourself and get help from others, if and when necessary. Be mindful of your capacity to give care. You do not have to do it all and you don't have to do it all the time. It takes bravery to say I can’t or will not do this right now.

I solely teach asana and movement classes online because of Covid-19. Being able to hold space virtually has relieved the financial burden and stress of commuting to studio settings and finding alternate care for my children and disabled mother. However, teaching from home isn’t without its challenges. Being in-person allows me to leave my messy family life behind, even if temporarily. Teaching over Zoom invites people to witness all my mess: kids fighting in the background, my oblivious mother screaming at me from another room, the unswept cheese puff crumbs littering the living room floor. Vulnerability is a new and messy practice for me and I have been getting in the habit of naming the mess at the beginning of each class and sometimes deliberately inviting it in. There have been numerous times where I have had to console a crying child while teaching asana. Neither my teaching or practice as a caregiver exist in a vacuum and both inform the other.

While we still have our not-so-good days, I am grateful for this work and practice as a caregiver. It's a practice in boundary setting and service, and a daily reminder that we are all temporarily able-bodied. For those who are new to this role, I invite you to lean into your own humanity and consciously align your core values with how you show up and care for others.


Tanisha Hubbard-Hood
, or Tan (they/them/she), is a caregiver, movement instructor, Yoga student and aspiring activist. While the physical practice of yoga is what drew them to the mat, it was the calling of something deeper that led to the decision to complete a YTT. The introduction of the 8-limbed path during training was the starting point of their curiosity of the intersection of yoga and social justice. Forever a student of the practice, Tan is always eagerly seeking out spaces where crucial conversations around accessible wellness and movement are being held. This includes completing workshops/programs for Yoga For 12-Step Recovery, Accessible Yoga, and Skill in Action. They believe in empowering others to disrupt the narratives and stories that uplift perfectionism and hyper-productivity. In movement classes, expect practices that encourage individual healing, as self love and care is a part of collective liberation. You can find Tan teaching weekly virtual live classes and engaging in her role as Teacher Community Manager at Core to Coeur


This post was edited by Patrice Priya Wagner, Editor of Accessible Yoga blog and member of the Board of Directors.

° FOLLOW Accessible Yoga on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.

° REGISTER here for our next conference.

° DONATE here to help us bring yoga to people who don't have access or have been underserved, such as people with disabilities, chronic illnesses, children with special needs, and anyone who doesn't feel comfortable in a regular yoga class.

No comments:

Post a Comment